Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Beer Review: Dogfish Head Sah'Tea

Ok, I know I'm supposed to be working on the Manifesto for a Better America, but this is a Christmas update and this is probably my absolute favorite beer of all time, so deal with it.

Sahtis are a traditional brew of Finland, a nation that knows a thing or two about alcohol. I've read varying accounts that date them as far back as the 700s AD or as recent as the 16th century. Either way, they're an old style of beer. And because of that they don't resemble what most people thing of beers. This is pretty common of DFH big bottled beers, but especially so with Sah'Tea. Sahtis are like lambics that use wild yeasts and open fermentation, and like gin in the use of juniper as a filtration device. Like I said, not a normal beer by any strech. Outside of Finland they're VERY rare, this being the only one I've tried (though there is a Sam Adams that I'm currently looking for). It's been almost 4 years since I had Sah'Tea, let's see if I still enjoy it.

Appearance: Orange in color, and rather murky orange at that. Head starts off at about 1 finger in height and hold steady, then drops suddenly to nice lacing. Bubbles are tightly packed and very white and creamy. A small ring of bubbles is left around the edge of the glass. Some yeast is noticeable in the brew.

Nose: As soon as I popped the cap off a warm orange, citrus smell wafted up to my nose. Upon closer inspection there are a wide variety of aromas. Citrus, honey, tea, cinnamon, cloves, and a little bit of alcohol. Even on the nose there is a buttery spiciness that I haven't ever encountered before. No trace of hops in the nose, but Sahtis aren't known for a hoppy character.

Photo by beercookpairjoy.com
Taste: Ok....where to begin? First is a sweetness, with a slight peppery spice that coats the whole mouth and throat as it goes down. After a moment it settles in your stomach, and this is replaced by a mild bitterness. Perhaps, this is the hopes. The taste is both citrus and butter, but while this sounds terrible, it's very delicious. The juniper piney taste is there, and noticeable, but not overpowering like some gins. Honestly this is one of the first craft beers I've ever tried, and trying it now makes me think that my pallet is still too novice to appreciate all the flavors. It's unqiue, and not a little bit weird, but it's damned good all the same. Also there is just a slight hint of alcohol here, which at 9% ABV, is impressive

Mouth Feel: I've never had Heavy Water before, but to that's the best way to describe the weight of the beer in my mouth as I drink it. Even a small sip is filling, and while smooth and silky, it feels almost as heavy as mercury. The alcohol burn doesn't hit until it's in your stomach, like premium vodka or moonshine. The lack of carbonation is made up for by the zest of the citrus and juniper in the beer, making ones mouth feel alive and excited with every sip.

Drinkability: Low. Don't get me wrong, this is a magnificant beer, but it's high alcohol, incredibly unusual flavors, and sheer weight mean that 1 glass is about all I can handle. Which means that the 750mml bottle is best split between friends/couples, or used during a more upscale party. It's such an unusual flavor that I would hesitate to say what would be a good food pairing. Off the top of my head, any fish or seafood seems good, and some of your sharper (read: INCREDIBLY SHARP) cheeses.

Overall this beer is probably the reason I started enjoying craft beers and exotic beverages in the first place. It's a weird brew, no question, and it may not appeal to those of more conservative tastes, but honestly I think everyone should at least take a sip or two in their life times. Who knows, you might just love it as much as I do.