Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thoughts on Guns (Part 1)

Lately I've felt an urge to write. The problem however, at least for me, is that I don't know what exactly to write about at the moment. I have several ideas in the works, and of course there is the Manifesto to finish, but instead today I thought I would just put my random thoughts about guns to paper. Or print, whatever.

So in no order of importance or relevance, here are my Gun Thoughts (Part 1)

Being shot at sucks, regardless of caliber. Being hit would suck even more, again regardless of caliber. Therefore, when deciding on what you want a gun chambered in, decide on the gun first, chambering second. The man (or woman) makes the tool, not the other way around.

The M1 Garand is overrated. There, I said it. It was a good gun in its day, and it's great to own and shoot for fun, but it's outclassed by others of its era, specifically the FN49.

People often get a lot of flak for modifying military rifles from their original configuration. I see the point people are trying to make, that it alters the history of the gun, but that assumes that the history of said gun ends with the modifier. It doesn't. It simply adds a new chapter to it. That said, be at least tasteful in how you modify stuff.

I think the 5.7 is the new 7.62x25 Tok round, but worse. Maybe it's because I'm a Rusophile, maybe it's because I'm right. Either way.

They need to make the XD in a 10mm. Glock does it, why not Springfield?

Speaking of things that should be made, Hoppes #9 should be a fragrence. And deoderant. And air spray. Basiclly, it should be used to make everything smell awesome.

How am I, the youngest member of a veterans group, the only member who knows to clean and disassmeble an M1 Garand?

On pointed bullets in tube mags; I've heard for ages that the reason you shouldn't do this is the bullet point will strike the primer, effectively causing your gun to blow up. But has that ever actually happened? Pointed bullets didn't come into vogue until about 1905, the same time as bolt action rifles. Now, this is just a crazy conspiracy theory, but I think that the pointed bullets in tubular mags story was made so that  gun makers could sell more 'modern' guns that the military was slow to adopt. I have nothing to back up this statement, but I've also never seen anything to suspect otherwise.

America hasn't had a really good gun designer since Browning. Stoner is probably the next best, and he's leagues behind. Pederson and Garand are both Canadian and don't count. Kellgren is a Swede and certainly innovative, but only time will tell if he's in the pantheon of great designers.

Wood grips are so much sexier than polymer. That's not opinion by the way, that's fact.

Tell me that's not sexy.
Hi Points are ugly, bulky, and cheap. But the warranty is awesome and they're really accurate. I think they're a great value honestly.

What happened to the big .50 cal craze of a couple years back? Did the recession really hurt people that bad (meaning .50 cal shooters)?

That's all for now. If you have gun related questions, or beer related questions, feel free to email me at wmballew87@gmail.com