Saturday, September 29, 2012

Gun Review: Kel-Tec PMR 30

Holy flying hell it's been forever since I did an update. But between my new semester and work I'm lucky to get a shower in these days. This means I haven't had time for a beer and certainly haven't had time to expend some lead at the range. However GBF cannot be stopped, only slightly slowed down. So here is another review of a gun, much sought after, but little owned.

Image from Kel-Tec
The first thing you'll notice about the PMR is the weight. With 30 rounds in the mag it feels like a very light squirt gun. Supposedly it weighs just 19oz loaded, but I never felt the need to put in on a scale. Either way it's ridiculously light weight. Ordinarily this would be a problem with recoil, but the grip angle (more on that later) and the fact that it's still only a .22 make recoil negligible, though slightly snappy.

The trigger on the PMR is nothing special. Breaks around 5lbs, with little creep, it's not bad and probably the biggest complaint about the gun. The sights are very nice, clear and visible even in low light settings. Sadly they're not adjustable, but that's pretty typical of most of my pistols.

The magazine release is a European, or heel catch style as opposed to having a button near the trigger guard. Not a flaw but it takes some getting used to, and speaking of getting used to things...there is the grip angle. It's much more straight lined than your average pistol and takes some getting used to. Once you do get used to the grip angle, it points very quickly and naturally.

All of this makes the PMR 30 a rather accurate little pistol. I never did much formal accuracy testing, but at 25 yards I can hit shotgun shells all day long. Even with rapid fire, it's pretty accurate. Many a pop bottle has been slain in little time.

Now, on to utility. I've heard a lot of conjecture about using this as a CCW gun. While it's better than nothing, I wouldn't recommend it. It's still a rimfire magazine fed gun. It's been relatively reliable for me so far, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Also, it's a .22mag. Yes it can kill, and is not a toy by any means, but I wouldn't choose it over a purpose built defense cartridge. And while it's very light weight, it's not the smallest gun around, making carrying a problem.

But what it WOULD be good for is a nice varmint/bird pistol. Great for squirrels, rabbits, starlings, etc. Also would be a great trail gun because it can be carried openly and it's accurate enough for snakes and other little trail hazards. And it's just plain fun, which is reason enough to buy a gun in my book.

One last thing, for those who are lucky enough to find one to purchase, make sure you read the manual on reloading the magazines. It'll be a bitch otherwise and they won't work reliably.